To submit a VAT return as a business via Clear Books, you must first appoint Clear Books as an Agent in the HMRC Tax Services system.
In total, the online steps take about 20 minutes, however, in some cases, an activation code might need to be sent to you by post, which can take a few days.
Once you have completed this process, the guide will then show you how to submit the return within Clear Books.
Appointing Clear Books as the Agent
Registering with the HMRC Services
If you don't already have an account you will need to sign up to get one. This will allow you to access various government services, including the range of HMRC online services such as online VAT returns.
- Click through to https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services/register - You will see some options to sign up for different tax services, click on the link that is most appropriate to you:
Enrolling for the VAT Returns Service
You will need your VAT Registration Certificate, and your most recent VAT return to complete this step.
- Login to the HMRC services account.
- Select Yes to the Have you already used a business tax account to manage your taxes, duties or schemes online? question and continue.
- Next select the VAT and VAT services, for example EC Sales List option.
- Then Select VAT from the list.
- It will ask you to fill out your VAT number, the postcode where your VAT returns are sent (or the one listed on your VAT Registration Certificate), the Effective Date (as shown on your VAT registration certificate), the month of your last VAT return, and the last net VAT due on that return.
The service may be activated straight away, or it may require you to enter an activation code that will be sent out by post.
Appointing Clear Books as your VAT and ECSL Agent
(please note that some references below may change as HMRC develop their systems)
Clear Books is a registered VAT Agent, which allows us to submit returns on behalf of other companies. In order to give us permission to submit returns for you, you need to appoint us as an agent. This can be done online via the Government Gateway.
- Login to your HMRC Services account.
- Click on the Manage Account link at the top.
- Click on the Accountants link.
- Click Add Agent.
- Enter our Agent ID: clearbooks-MKSMH2GFG21S
- You must then agree to some terms and conditions, and re-enter your login details to complete the process.
Set up a Direct Debit and E-mail Notifications with HMRC for VAT submissions.
If you file your VAT returns online, the easiest way to pay is by direct debit. This way you won't need to put a cheque in the post, or do a manual bank transfer. You can do this on HMRC's website by clicking here. You can also set up e-mail notifications so that you get sent reminders when your VAT return is due.
Submitting a VAT Return in Clear Books
Navigate to the Settings > Configure system > Toggle Features menu
and click on the VAT & bank import tool tab in the box on the left.
Enable the Online VAT filling option by ticking the check box.
Navigate to the Reports > Popular reports > VAT return menu.
If you haven't created a return yet please click here to find out more.
If you have created your return already click on the return name from within the Existing VAT returns list, and click on the Submit to HMRC button.
Please note: Contact our support team - email@example.com - should you wish to delete a return electronically submitted via Clear Books.
Creating a VAT return on a Custom Tax scheme is not currently supported.
Technical support is available from Monday to Friday, 9 - 5.
We also welcome you to visit our Community to view our latest news & updates, raise new ideas, find answers to common problems, ask new queries and speak to other Clear Books users and employees.