- youre a sole director company, with no other staff
- your company has a number of directors, none of whom has an employment contract
- your company has a number of directors, only one of whom has an employment contract
- your company has ceased trading
- your company has gone into liquidation
- your company has been dissolved
- you no longer employ people in your home (cleaners, nannies, personal care assistants, etc)
To check the latest criteria please check the Pensions Regulator website. To find out more about employment contracts visit the government website.
I meet one of the above critera, what do I do now?
- Fill out the Pensions Regulator's online form to inform them that you do not have any employees
- Follow our steps below on how to tell Clear Books Payroll that you are exempt.
How to notify Clear Books Payroll that you are exempt from Automatic enrolment duties:
- Navigate to Employer > Details.
- Enter your staging date under the pension tab in the employer form. Please see our help guide for more information.
- Navigate to the Employees > View and click to view a director.
- Select the pensions tab in this employees form.
- Set the Auto enrolment status field to Excluded.
- Ensure no pension scheme is selected and that all the date fields are left blank.
- Ensure the contribution fields (both % and amount) are set to 0.00.
- Tick the Exclude from assessment box. Your form should now match the screenshot at the bottom of this guide. If the worker category box has a value, please ignore this.
- Press save
- Repeat steps 3-9 for each director.
You have now successfully set up Clear Books to explain that you have no employer duties. Should your circumstances change you should inform the Pensions Regulator and follow our help guides for automatic enrolment.