By your staging date, you will need to assess your staff for eligibility to find out who to automatically enrol. Clear Books Payroll has a report that will assess your staff, enabling you to see who is and who isn't eligible. Please note, we assess using tax pay reference periods (starting 6th April) rather than regular wage periods (1st-31st).
Please note, if an employee already has a leave date set when your staging date arrives, you do not need to add this employee to a scheme so can forego assessing them.
Select the year, payroll frequency and period, then click the View assessment button. The report will run and the result will be shown on screen
What to do after you've run the report
Once you have run the 'Assess the workforce' report you need to identify which staff to automatically enrol and which have a right to join the scheme on request.
There are three classifications - Eligible jobholder, Non-eligible jobholder and Entitled worker. Follow this link to find a chart that explains the different classifications:
In the chart, check the details in reference to each employee to see their classification. Clear Books Payroll will automatically update the Worker category field for each employee in the employee details form. However, you still have duties to carry out for each worker - actions to take are listed below.
For Eligible jobholders you have a duty to automatically enrol them into your automatic enrolment pension scheme and pay employer contributions.
- By law you must enrol the employee into your pension scheme - this must be done directly with your pension provider. Please speak to them if you are unsure how to do this
- Promptly send any information the pension provider has asked for
- By law you must send communications to your employees to inform them that you are enrolling them into a pension scheme. Use this letter template for staff who are automatically enroled: http://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/docs/Letter-template-for-employees-who-are-being-automatically-enrolled.doc
- Add the pension scheme details for each employee into Clear Books Payroll so that we can calculate deductions on their payslip
- In the employee details form set the Auto enrolment status field to Enrolled in qualified pension scheme
For Non-eligible jobholders you have a duty to notify them of their eligibility to join the automatic enrolment pension scheme. Those who provide you with a valid 'opt in' notice will need to be enrolled into your automatic enrolment pension scheme and you will need to pay employer contributions.
- By law you must send communications to your employees to inform them of their entitlement to opt in to a pension scheme. Use this letter template for staff who are not automatically enroled: http://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/docs/Letter-template-for-those-not-automatically-enrolled.doc
- If you receive an 'opt in' notice from an employee please follow our opt in guide
For Entitled workers you have a duty to notify them of their eligibility to join a pension scheme. Only those employees who provide a 'joining' notice will you then be required to enrol into a pension scheme (this does not have to be the automatic enrolment scheme) however, you are not obliged to pay employer contributions.
- By law you must send communications to your employees to inform them of their entitlement to join a pension scheme. Use this letter template for staff who are not automatically enroled: http://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/docs/Letter-template-for-those-not-automatically-enrolled.doc
- If you receive a 'Joining' notice from an employee please follow our request to join scheme guide
For additional help, click here to view all our training options.
Technical support is available on Monday to Friday from 9 - 5. You can call us on 0203 475 4744 or email us at email@example.com.
Alternatively, visit our Community to view our latest news & updates, raise new ideas, find answers to common problems, ask new queries and speak to other Clear Books users and employees.